Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Life Skills Coaching third module

Day 1

One more time! I embark on the third module for the Life Skills Coaching course at George Brown. The ultimate goal is to gain the certificate for the program.

I reflect back to when I originally decided to start this journey and my thinking at the time was to just see how it goes. The course was just a week of time and if I didn’t like it or felt it wasn’t what I wanted, I could just not take the second module.

After the first module, I came away with the motivation to keep going. I was originally looking for a coaching program to help with my one on one coaching clients. This course was focused on groups. But I liked it.

Understanding group needs and working towards meeting those needs was very interesting. In module 2 we worked at building lesson plans. Keeping it simple and trying to build a lesson that will only run 2 hours seems to be challenging. Who knew? I’ve taught longer course workshops, but I thought a shorter lesson would be easier. Not so. Seems working a lesson plan to fit the time frame does take some work.

So we started module 3 tonight and there was only one other person from the module 2 that I took. In a way this was good as I now get to meet a whole bunch of new people. They all seem to know each other as they have worked together in the earlier modules.

In my module 2 there were 3 new people to our group that was already familiar with each other. It brought some interest to the group; the group discussions were lively and more interesting. So now I’ll see what it’s like from the other side in being the new guy.

The group was very welcoming. There was lots of great disclosure between the group members. The intention for tonight was for us all to get to know each other better. Oh, and we learned what to expect for the rest of the course.

I must have not been in the 'here and now' when we talked about the third module in earlier modules. I certainly don’t remember anything about an exam. Even the journal was a surprise, but that’s not something unexpected. I am looking forward to doing a lesson. Not quite sure how to choose what lesson topic to pick or whether I even get to pick it.

So I try not to worry about it for now, cause I tend to start planning what I’m going to work on. I was probably working on this as soon as heard we would need to do one. But I currently have no ideas in my head right now. So maybe I’ll be able to read the group and come up with something that the group needs.

Next week we’ll find out what night of the course we’ll present our lesson. From that I guess I can gauge what kind of lesson would suit the group depending on if it’s earlier or later in the course.

And I’m kind of missing the intensive week. I haven’t done a night course in many years. That alone is an adjustment, but I liked the intensive. It was concentrated learning. So now unthink and adjust to the needs of the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment